The aim of the project was to create and improve the management instruments in order that Pădurea Craiului would become a certified ecotourism destination. To reach the aim, a series of activities were implemented as it follows:
1. the planning component: two documents were developed - the concept of the development of ecotourism in Pădurea Craiului and the interpretation plan for the natural and cultural heritage of the area.
2. tourism component: 2 bike rental centres were created, 9 mountain biking routes were identified, one local event had taken place - a responsible event, one underground museum inside a show cave was developed.
3. Quality component: certification of 4 tourism operators in the Eco-Romania certification system.
4. Promotion component: development of one ecotourism destination logo, development of a webpage for advertising the area - www.padureacraiului.ro, participation at 2 tourism fairs, conception and printing of 7 roll-up banners, 3000 brochures, 1000 biographies of Meziad cave, 500 event calendars and 2000 ecotourism maps.
5. improvement of the financial and management capacity component: development and start-up of a voluntary financing mechanism for the conservation of nature and ecotourism, development of a formal partnership to improve the participatory management of the ecotourism destination.
The implementation of the present project has created the first steps for Pădurea Craiului to become an ecotourism destination and to be certified by the Tourism Ministry. Hence, the visibility of the area has improved on a regional and national scale.
Center for Protected Areas and Sustainable Development Bihor, Oradea, P-ta 1 Decembrie nr.4-6, etaj I, cam.8, 410068, Romania
Rosia Commune (Romania), Ethical Travel Portal (Norway)