The OwnYourSECAP project aims to bring local and regional municipalities towards owning their Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plans (SECAPs). Many municipalities have been working on local climate mitigation policies and measures, but they face challenges in integrating climate adaptation and energy poverty aspects, aligning plans with more ambitious carbon neutrality targets, and securing political commitment and resources for plan delivery. In many cases, municipalities do not feel like "owners" of the SECAP, which hinders implementation. This project proposes a systematic approach to the development and implementation of SECAPs, utilizing energy management systems (EnMS) based on the ISO 50001 standard, climate adaptation concepts according to ISO 14092, and innovative engagement approaches. The project aims to strengthen governance structures, engage representatives from different departments and stakeholders, secure political commitment, and resources, promote sectoral integration, and set more ambitious targets for carbon neutrality and resilience. The project will involve, train, and assist over 110 target and replication municipalities and 1,500 public officers.
Total Eligible Budget: €1,813,396, EU Contribution: €1,722,727, EU Funding Percentage: 95%
• Implement a systematic approach to the development and implementation of Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plans (SECAPs) in municipalities.
• Utilize energy management systems (EnMS) based on the ISO 50001 standard to enhance the governance and implementation of SECAPs.
• Incorporate climate adaptation concepts according to ISO 14092 to ensure the integration of adaptation measures in SECAPs.
• Use innovative engagement approaches to foster stakeholder involvement and ownership of the SECAPs.
• Strengthen governance structures within municipalities to ensure effective coordination and implementation of SECAPs.
• Engage representatives from different departments and stakeholders to promote sectoral integration and collaboration in SECAP implementation.
• Secure stronger political commitment and allocate sufficient resources to support the development and implementation of SECAPs.
• Set more ambitious targets towards carbon neutrality and resilience in SECAPs to drive local climate action.
• Provide training and assistance to municipalities and public officers to enhance their knowledge and capacity in sustainable energy and climate action planning.
• Promote replication of successful approaches and best practices in SECAP development and implementation across target municipalities.