The aim of the project is to promote the use of environmentally friendly public transport and increase the number of passengers in environmentally friendly public transport in Daugavpils. The following actions are planned in the project:
- reconstruction of the tram line in the sections Vienības iela - Stacijas iela, including the intersection of 18.novembra and Ventspils streets (2.06 km);
- construction of a new tram line in the section 18. Novembra iela - Veselības iela - Stropu ciems in Daugavpils (2.26 km);
- reconstruction of the existing contact network for the use of rod-shaped and pantograph-type current receivers (9.50 km);
- construction of the cable line in the section Jātnieku ielas depot - Tropi (track length 2.15 km);
- Purchase of 8 four-seat tram cars.
Tram movement will become smoother, safer and faster. All new low-floor trams will be equipped with air-conditioning equipment, monitors and an audio system, they will have better sound insulation, they will make it much easier for passengers to get on and off the vehicle and increase the comfort level of passengers during the journey.
Total investment: 17 776 419.30 €. EU investment: 12 999 768.08 € (73,1%).
Residents have given positive feedback about this project. This has also been proven in numbers - the number of tram customers has increased by 3%. Unfortunately, the trams are not true low-floor trams and have a step, which makes them difficult to access for a significant part of the public.