As described in the documentation, the goal of the project is to promote the use of environmentally friendly public transport in Jēkabpils, replacing 7 out of 13 buses with new ones that cause less pollution in the urban environment, thus improving the quality of life for the residents of Jēkabpils. Project results:
- 7 new buses powered by compressed natural gas (CNG) were purchased,
- Renewed car fleet of SIA "ēkabpils busu parks",
- Filling of purchased buses with compressed natural gas (CNG) is ensured,
- Improved availability of environment and information in public vehicles,
- Increased number of passengers in environmentally friendly transport.
Total investment: 1 363 054.35 €. EU investment: 1 076 094.22 € (78,9%).
Jēkabpils CNG buses were called and described in the documentation as environmentally friendly despite the fact that the evidence shows that the reduction in emissions using CNG compared to a modern EURO 6 emission class diesel vehicle is minimal, if any. CNG is not only a fossil resource, but there is no corresponding infrastructure for it in Latvia outside of such specific projects and it does not reduce Latvia's energy independence. The recommendation is for municipalities not to engage in "green washing" and, when making public transport procurements, to emphasize the purchase of truly environmentally friendly vehicles.
Information sourceshttp://www.esfondi.lv/es-fondu-projektu-mekletajs/project?number=188.8.131.52%2F17%2FI%2F003 https://www.santa.lv/raksts/auto/jekabpili-autobusi-izmantos-_cng_-saspiestas-gazes-iekartas-26750/