The LIFE COOL CITY project aims to enhance the adaptive capacity of EU cities in the face of climate change by implementing innovative IT systems for the management of blue-green infrastructure (BGI). The project will utilize remote sensing technologies to assess and monitor the status of BGI, identify priority areas for action, and implement Nature-based Solutions (NBS) interventions. The EUROPE system, based on satellite data, will rank the status of BGI in 10,000 EU cities across 23 countries, addressing key environmental problems. The CITY system, based on airborne data, will be implemented in the city of Wroclaw, enabling precise identification of priority areas, and recommending NBS interventions. In Wroclaw, NBS interventions will be implemented through the protection of greenery, change of management procedures, and construction of BGI. The effectiveness of the CITY system's recommendations will be monitored, and the project will develop commercialized versions of the EUROPE and CITY systems for replication among target cities. Information and education campaigns will also be conducted to disseminate knowledge about the systems and their functionalities.
Total Eligible Budget: €4,892,901, EU Contribution: €2,935,738, EU Funding Percentage:60%
• Implement the EUROPE system in 10,000 EU cities to assess the status of BGI and address key environmental problems.
• Implement the CITY system in Wroclaw for precise identification of priority areas and recommendation of NBS interventions.
• Implement NBS interventions in Wroclaw, including the protection of greenery, change of management procedures, and construction of BGI.
• Monitor the effectiveness of the CITY system's recommendations at the NBS intervention sites using key environmental problem indicators.
• Develop commercialized versions of the EUROPE and CITY systems for replication among target cities.
• Conduct information and education campaigns to disseminate knowledge about the systems and their functionalities.